Goal: Enhancing the rights of vulnerable people who have suffered from domestic violence and sexual abuse through strengthening the existing mechanisms at the sub-national level.
1). Strengthening the existing sub-national working groups to reduce domestic violence and sexual abuse for women and children
2). Assist women and children who have suffered from domestic violence and sexual abuse to assert their rights
- Target Provinces: Phnom Penh, Battambang and Pailin Provinces
- Target Groups: abused women and children
- Legal Aid is provided through free legal consultation and free legal representation for women and children who suffer from domestic violence and sexual abuse. The project is working closely with the government, court officials and international local NGO´s (e.g.: AusAID, District, Commune and Provincial Committees for Women and Children, Provincial Department of Social and Women Affairs) to promote the justice system in Battambang and Pailin provinces. In order to ensure a proper implementation LAC is meeting regularly with donors, such as AusAID officials, at the LAC branch offices and directly at the partner organizations to inform them about the newest circumstances and answer upcoming questions in cooperation with the involved organizations.
- Training sessions on basic rights of women and children, domestic violence and sexual abuse, and related articles of Criminal Code and Criminal Procedure Code are provided to people in Sangke, Thmorkol, Sampovelon, Samlot, Rotanakmudul, Banan districts of Battambang province, and Salakrov and Boryakha districts of Pailin province two times a month. The main purpose of the activity is to share concepts on basic rights of women and children, related laws and legal services to local community members who are able to have direct access. Moreover, the event is also a forum for discussion among guest speakers invited from local government and local community members attended in the awareness. Questions will be proposed from participants during the meeting and the facilitator will refer those questions to the particular guest speakers in order to be solved.
- The outreach programme consists of 18 radio programs in the targeted provinces a year to raise awareness among the general Cambodian population about women´s and children´s rights. Radio talk-show programs will be conducted in Battambang and Pailin in order to promote the understanding of the local community members who do not directly attend in the awareness raising or who are far from direct reach information, so they could hear from radio talk programs conducted monthly. Additionally, the program is also a forum to discuss legal matters and legal aid services among guest speakers and callers from various levels of community members.
- In the end advocacy activities, namely the Criminal Justice Actors Meeting is organised. The purpose of the Criminal Justice Actors Meeting is to coordinate round-table group discussions amongst relevant criminal justice actors in order to improve the provincial justice system particularly with regard to criminal matters. There are about 80-90 participants who are invited from a variety of professions associated with the legal and punitive jurisdictions in Cambodia such as representatives from the court, prison, police, military police, social affairs department, women’s affairs department, education, health, commune chiefs and other relevant agencies. The meeting also serves as a forum to discuss legal issues, comparing articles in the papers and actual implementation. The project has also observed that through proving the facts of the incidents in communities, the working group’s members have a good opportunity to improve their capacity in criminal actions.