Improved Protection for Children in Conflict with the Law
The project will be implemented in two provinces Banteay Meanchey province and Siem Reap province to improved protection for children in conflict with the law and to contribute to the development of a child friendly justice process and to strengthen the implementation of children’s rights through national and international law in Cambodia. The proposed Action seeks to promote understanding and adherence in practice to Cambodian law and criminal procedures as they relate to children’s rights and juvenile.
The proposed Action seeks to promote understanding and adherence to prison rules and regulations as they related to child rights and juvenile justice and aims to make improvements to the justice and prison system in Cambodia in order to make these institutions more child friendly with greater adherence to child protection standards.
The project will be achieved at the national level through impacting on law and policy and at the provincial, district and commune level through lasting impact on local justice and focus priorities on child protection concerns and to improve overall adherence to international and national standards so as to improve the situation of the final beneficiaries, children in conflict with the law in Cambodia.
II. Goal and Objective :
- To improve child protection for children in conflict with the law in the justice system in Cambodia to secure improved child protection at each stage of the judicial process and influence the practices of the different stakeholders who interact with children during the process, including police officers, judicial officers, prosecutors, judges, prison officials, prison guard and local government officials. And coordination and communication between key stakeholders to supporting children in conflict with the law that is primarily geared at protecting their best interests.
- To provide with free legal representation to children in conflict with the law and protection and reduce the level of violence against children in conflict with the law, improve the capacity and adherence to child protection best practice of judicial, police and prison stakeholders and build the capacity of existing institutions to divert children in conflict with the law out of the formal justice process.
- To strengthen political commitment on child protection measures and develop effective law and policy on juvenile justice and child rights, in particular securing the passing into law of the draft Juvenile Justice Law.
- To have a lasting and sustained impact on the Cambodian justice, prison and police systems and its interactions with children in conflict with the law.
III. Activities :
- Contribute to the developments of a child friendly justice process and to strengthen the implementation of children
- Provide free legal representation by LAC lawyers and training, campaign and networking activities through pilot Child Advocates.
- Develop system of diversion through networking and capacity building of judicial stakeholders and the District and Commune Committees for Women and Children, and case by case advocacy.
- Conduct training with stakeholders on national and international law on children’s rights, including criminal procedure and prison rules and regulations, build capacity of existing prison committees.
- Monitoring of detained children and data collection for dissemination and to strengthen and contribute to existing advocacy networks.
IV.Donor: EU through Save the Children
V. Staff :
- Mr. Op Vibol Program Manager
- Mr. Var Monika Advocacy Officer
- Ms. Sarunny Chetra Legal Trainer
- Mr. Keo Rachna Data Entry Clerk
- Ms. Chea Soknourn Head of Branch Office, Lawyer
- Ms. Chum Sopha Project Officer
- Mr. Yous Samrong Child Rights Advocate
- Ms. Roeung Phopveasna Office Assistant
- Mr. Hang Sam On Head of Branch Office, Lawyer
- Ms. Khan Sothaly Project Officer
- Mr. Oeur Chantrea Child Rights Advocate
- Ms. Bou Nary Office Assistant